The EEOICPA was passed in 2000. It provides compensation to workers who became ill as a result of their employment manufacturing nuclear weapons in the USA, as well as their spouses, children, and grandchildren. Weldon Spring Plant EEOICPA coverage is available for qualified former Workers and their families.
Are you eligible for compensation? If you or a family member worked at this or another DOE facility and became ill, you may be entitled to compensation of up to $400K plus medical benefits. Call EEOICPA Counsel Hugh Stephens at 1-855-548-4494 or fill out our free claim evaluation, We can help even if you’ve already filed, even if your claim was denied!
Here, we have compiled publicly available information and documentation about the facilities covered by the Act to clarify how their activities relate to the Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act.
Weldon Spring Plant
Also Known As: Mallinckrodt, Weldon Spring Chemical Co., Weldon Spring Site Remedial Action Project (WSSRAP), WSS
Location: Weldon Spring
Time Period: 1955-1966; October 1, 1985â€“2002 (remediation)
Facility Type: Department of Energy
Facility Description: In 1955, the U.S. Department of the Army (Army) transferred 217 acres of what had been the Weldon Springs Ordnance Works to the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) for construction of a uranium feed materials plant. The AEC constructed the Weldon Spring Uranium Feed Materials Plant at this location and contracted with the Mallinckrodt Chemical Company to operate the plant starting in June 1957. The plant was used for uranium refining activities in support of the national defense program. The AEC closed the plant in December 1966 after deciding it was obsolete.
After closing the plant, the AEC transferred the plant and the land back to the Army on December 31, 1967. On October 1, 1985, custody of the chemical plant was retransferred from the Army back to the DOE, which was given responsibility for remediation of the plant. The surface decontamination of the plant was completed in October 2002.
CONTRACTORS: Mallinckrodt Chemical Company (1957-1966); Bechtel National Inc. (1981-1985); MK-Ferguson Company and Jacobs Engineering Group (1986-2002)
Weldon Spring Plant is listed as a Department of Energy (DOE) site under the EEOICPA.
As of 06/14/15 the total compensation paid under Parts B and E of the EEOICPA, including medical compensation, for workers suffering from the effects of having worked at the Weldon Spring Plant is $43,167,341.
The Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) approved a plan on June 9, 1995, allowing the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) at the Weldon Spring Site Remedial Action Project (WSSRAP) to excavate nearly 2 million cubic yards of clay material from land in the Weldon Spring Conservation Area. Clay soil from a borrow area was used to construct the permanent disposal facility at the Weldon Spring site. Clay soil was chosen to construct the disposal facility because it has low permeability when compacted. Extensive tests showed that the proper quality and quantity of material was located in the Conservation Area within 2 miles of the disposal facility and approximately 0.25 mile east of Francis Howell High School across Highway 94. The excavated clay soil was used for foundation backfill, clay liners, clean-fill perimeter dikes, and the radon barrier in the disposal cell.
A cultural resource survey was conducted at the Borrow Area easement to determine that soil removal would not disturb any archeological or historical sites. The land also was assessed from an ecological standpoint to check for threatened or endangered species and wetland areas. DOE signed a separate agreement with MDC to mitigate any loss of wetland area. The agree- ment authorized the creation of a wetlands area in the August A. Busch Conservation Area. This wetlands area provided an aquatic habitat to replace areas that were disturbed during work at the Chemical Plant site.
More than 213 acres, including 150 acres for borrow development and operations, constitute the Borrow Area and dedicated haul road that leads from the borrow source to an entrance at the north side of the Chemical Plant site. The haul road was dedicated to borrow operations to separate project vehicles and equipment from public roadway users. DOE reached an agreement with the Missouri Highway and Transportation Department, Francis Howell School District, and MDC that permitted a portion of Highway 94 to be realigned to allow for a grade separation crossing. The separation routed borrow traffic through an underpass at Highway 94. Construction of the grade separation in 1996 included reduction of two dangerous curves in Highway 94 that had been the scene of numerous accidents.
The hauling operation took place during the construction season from spring to fall each year. Scrapers hauled material from the Borrow Area 10 hours each day during the business week. Nearly 100,000 round trips were made.
Borrow Area operations for the 2001 construction season included the modification of an existing sedimentation basin and the excavation of approximately 100,351 cubic yards of soil to complete the disposal cell. By the time the cell was completed in October 2001, approximately 1.4 million cubic yards of soil from the Borrow Area had been used in cell construction.
In 2002, the continuation of the Hamburg Trail, an extension of the Katy Trail State Park, was constructed. The Hamburg Trail extends the Katy Trail along the Quarry haul road to the Weldon Spring site and then proceeds to the Borrow Area, eventually crossing Highway 94 at Highway D. From there, the trail proceeds along a route parallel to Highway D to the headquarters building of the Missouri Department of Conservation’s August A. Busch Memorial Conservation Area.
When Borrow Area operations were completed, the area was graded to drain in accordance with a final restoration/reclamation plan approved by MDC and the Soil Conservation Service. Phase I Borrow Area restoration was completed in September 2001, and the Borrow Area was turned over to MDC in March 2002. Phase II seeding was completed and turned back to MDC in May 2002. The 6,000-square-foot maintenance building was turned over to MDC in October 2002.
NIOSH SEC Petition Evaluation Reports
Petition 143 (Jan 1, 1957 to Dec 31, 1966)
SEC Petition Evaluation Report, Petition SEC-00143, Rev #: 0
Report Submittal Date: April 16, 2010
Technical Basis Documents
Weldon Spring Plant – Introduction
Effective Date: 05/24/2013, Revision: 01
Weldon Spring Plant – Site Description
Effective Date: 03/24/2017, Rev. 02
Weldon Spring Plant – Occupational Medical Dose
Effective Date: 01/30/2013, Revision: 01
Weldon Spring Plant – Occupational Environmental Dose
Effective Date: 03/29/2017, Rev. 02
Weldon Spring Plant – Occupational Internal Dose
Effective Date: 03/14/2017, Rev. 03
Weldon Spring Plant – Occupational External Dosimetry
Effective Date: 02/06/2013, Revision: 01
COMPARISON OF SC&A’S BLIND DOSE RECONSTRUCTION TO NIOSH’S DOSE RECONSTRUCTION OF CASE #[REDACT] FROM THE HANFORD SITE AND WELDON SPRING PLANT
SC&A’S EVALUATION OF THE WELDON SPRING SITE PROFILE CHANGES COMPARED TO THE ORIGINAL FINDINGS
Review of the NIOSH Site Profile for the Weldon Spring Site in Weldon Spring, Missouri