EEOICPA: Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act

EEOICPA Part E Eligibility

Nuclear energy workers play an important role in energy production for the United States. But that job can be risky, and you may have been one of the workers exposed to radiation. Now, you’re sick, and you believe your illness is caused by exposure to nuclear radiation. 

The Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act (EEOICPA) was passed to help workers like you, but you may have already struggled to get the compensation you’re due for your occupational illness. Speak with an EEOICPA lawyer at Stephens & Stephens for the tools you need to get compensated through this act. 

What Is the EEOICPA? 

The EEOICPA was passed in 2001 to help those suffering from certain illnesses, including certain types of cancer, caused by exposure to radiation through their jobs. Those working in nuclear testing, nuclear energy, and atomic weapons manufacturing may have been exposed to dangerous levels of nuclear radiation that impacted their health. 

Because exposure to radiation is so hazardous, the United States government signed this act into law to offer compensation for impacted workers. Before this act, many workers had difficulties filing workers compensation claims for these conditions, which left them without the financial support they and their families needed when dealing with the aftermath of these dangerous conditions. 

Getting compensated through the EEOICPA can be difficult, too, but we can help. Here’s what you can expect. 

Who Is Covered by the EEOICPA? 

EEOICPA coverage may differ, depending on whether you’re eligible under Part B or Part E of the EEOICPA. If you’re not sure where your claim falls, your lawyer can help you determine your next steps. 

Part B covers workers employed by the Department of Energy (DOE), atomic weapons employers (AWE), or contractors working for the DOE. This compensation is offered for those working at a covered facility, offering up to $150,000 for eligible workers, as well as medical bill coverage. If the worker is deceased, their spouse, children, grandchildren, or parents may be eligible for these EEOICPA benefits.

Part E only covers those working for a DOE facility. These benefits differ in that they also offer workers compensation, such as wage repayment for those too ill to work. You may also be eligible for an impairment award under Part E of the EEOICPA. 

Unsure whether you’re qualified for one or both? Your lawyer can help you determine what compensation you’re eligible for, and they can help you seek the financial recovery you’re due. 

The Claims Process for Nuclear Energy Workers 

Once you’ve determined whether your employer is covered under the EEOICPA, you and your lawyer can begin seeking compensation for your suffering. One of your first steps, once your claim is underway, is proving you were sick because of your employment. 

The burden of proof is often on the worker in these cases, meaning you’ll need to show a connection between your health decline and your employment. You’ll need a doctor to review your claim, and your lawyer can help you gather evidence and get the answers you need to file your claim. 

Talk with a Lawyer About the EEOICPA and Your Claim 

If you’ve been exposed to radiation or other toxic materials, you may have seen major damage to your overall health. But that doesn’t mean you don’t have options. You may be eligible for compensation. 

Getting compensated under the EEOICPA isn’t always easy, but a lawyer from Stephens & Stephens can help. If you’re struggling to get compensated for your suffering and your dangerous health conditions, reach out for a free consultation. We can be reached when you call 716-852-7590 or when you fill out the online contact form below.