Call Us Now: 716.208.3525

EEOICPA & RECA Attorneys

Stephens & Stephens has obtained over $60 million through the Radiation Exposure Compensation Act and the Energy Employees Occupation Illness Compensation Act for our clients

Gloria ReynoldsGloria Reynolds
04:16 30 Mar 24
Stephens & Stephens was very helpful in getting my claim processed and helping me in getting my settlement, staff was knowledgeable and professional and very kind if I call and needed to ask a question they would call me back within a timely manner. Thank you so much for your help .Continue to be blessed Gloria
Dee GodfreyDee Godfrey
18:49 12 Mar 24
I was astounded with the service I received from Mr. Hugh Stephens in regard to my husband's compensation claim. He was not only efficient, but also compassionate, and communicated clearly and frequently. Because of his outstanding efforts and expertise, I, who am now a grieving widow, am unexpectedly stabile and secure. I had little to do. He did all the heavy lifting. I'm so very grateful for his help. I'll always remember not only his professionalism, but also his kindness.
Audrey OgletreeAudrey Ogletree
22:19 09 Mar 24
From: Laurence OgletreeI received good assistance from Stephens & Stephens in submitting the recent claim for increased impairment benefits from the Energy Workers program.
Randy MooreRandy Moore
14:48 07 Mar 24
I was a machinist at Honeywell F.M.&T.and developed bilateral tinnitus and bilateral sensorineural hearing loss. They helped me file a claim with EEOICPA in 2017. Stephen’s & Stephen’s was very good to work with, they take care of all the paperwork and help with any paperwork I receive from the Department of Labor. They stay on top of things helping with scheduling impairment reviews etc.I feel that without their help this would have been a very overwhelming process.I plan on still using them if any other illnesses occur due to my employment with Honeywell.
Mike DauzatMike Dauzat
15:54 02 Mar 24
I highly recommend Stevens and Stevens. Hugh Stevens and his staff are very professional and very friendly. They're extremely good at making sure you get the full amount of money you deserve. If you need a DOL lawyer, I highly recommend this team. I can't be more happy that I picked Stevens and Stevens.
Mary YbarraMary Ybarra
01:33 27 Feb 24
Stephen’s and Stephen’s has kept fight for my dad. Now they are fight for my mom. They are on top of things and I would recommend them to anyone who needs help and guidance with the Uranium mines.
Dianne HarperDianne Harper
01:02 17 Feb 24
Robert and I are very pleased with Mr. Hugh Stephens and all that he has done for us. From the first moment we spoke, we sensed that though Mr. Stephens exhibits sharp business acumen, he cares deeply about his clients and he has a huge heart.
Diane pontonDiane ponton
17:38 07 Feb 24
I tried to get others to help me with this claim, and it wasn"t until I hired Mr. Stephens that things started happening. I would recommend any one to get in touch with him . I would go to him again, if i ever needed to.
Judy LeonardJudy Leonard
22:26 06 Feb 24
I very much appreciate the successful litigation concerning my husband's Hanford work related illness. Stephens & Stephens LLP were thorough, caring, considerate, and fair during this difficult time.
Kenneth GKenneth G
18:23 03 Feb 24
Mr. Stephens was able to simplify an otherwise complicated lengthy process (DEEOIC) to file an initial claim as well as a claim for impairment benefits.
18:08 03 Feb 24
Frankie KnucFrankie Knuc
19:24 08 Jan 24
I had other attorneys hired in Cortez, Colorado and Grand Jct., Colorado to assist me with receiving my uranium claim, but they were not successful. I was advised by an employee of CNS of Stephens & Stephens, LLP good work. I contacted them & they took my case It was settled very quickly. I have been very pleased with this group & would advise others of their prompt service. I would recommend them to others. Respectfully, Frankie Knuckles
Rebecca ConsolRebecca Consol
19:57 22 Dec 23
My family used Stephen’s and Stephen’s for a settlement case. We were extremely pleased with all they did. They were very professional, easy to get a hold of, and invaluable when it came to answering questions and handling complicated Department of Labor issues and forms. They also did everything in a very timely manner. I have already recommended them to other people.
Thomas CliffordThomas Clifford
15:29 21 Dec 23
I have been represented by Hugh Stevens for several years now, He and his staff has made everything so easy for me. I had lung cancer from working in the uranium processing industry, they have opened so many doors for me and made dealing with DOL so much easier. They always answer my questions in a very timely manner. I have referred several other people to him and he has been able to get them through this process also. There are benefits that I was not aware of that he has brought to my attention and been able to lead me through the process of obtaining them. I would most highly recommend him to lead anyone through this process.
Lonnie killingHawkLonnie killingHawk
02:35 14 Dec 23
When I first contacted Stephens & Stephens I was at the end of my rope with DOL. Hough and his staff got me on track and handled everything with DOL and just made this process so easy. Do not know where I'd be with out them. They are able to communicate at a layman's level and understand the client. Would strongly recommend this firm.
Ruthy LyonRuthy Lyon
21:00 28 Sep 23
Our initial conversation with Mr. Stephens was productive & reassuring. His previous experience with similar cases was obvious and very helpful, in both asking us specific questions for clarification & also addressing our own questions. Breanna is also a great asset to their team.
James O'DayJames O'Day
15:07 13 Sep 23
I have referred several friends to Hugh Stephens and they were more satisfied than they ever expected. I would refer him with confidence to anyone in need. I trust when he speaks for me, for example, in court. He is a good communicator and a deep thinker. He is well respected in his profession. He handles environmental law, injury law, and medical malpractice. He is tactful and direct and knows what he is doing. He knows the legal briar patches well.

Frequently Asked Questions | RECA

Your RECA Claim Questions Answered

What is the Radiation Exposure Compensation Act (RECA)?

The RECA claims program involves Uranium Miners, Millers, and Transporters who developed lung and kidney diseases as well as cancer due to exposure to Uranium and other hazardous substances.

RECA also addresses claims from on-site participants who were exposed to radiation during a test of a nuclear weapon at the Nevada Test Site (NTS) or in the South Pacific and later developed certain types of cancer. Those who lived downwind of the Nevada Test Site (NTS) and were diagnosed with certain types of cancer can also obtain compensation under RECA as Downwinders.

What are downwinders? 

You may not have been employed at a nuclear testing site, but the fallout from one of these federal tests can still impact your health. Downwinders are people who suffered from radiation-related disease because they were downwind from nuclear testing facilities. If you believe you qualify as a downwinder, our lawyers are committed to getting your benefits. Talk to your lawyer to determine if your state is impacted.

Am I eligible for RECA compensation?

If you, your parent (step-parent), spouse, or your grandparent worked as a uranium miller, miner, or transporter and developed a condition related to uranium exposure then you are eligible to apply for compensation under RECA’s program for uranium miners, millers, or transporters.

RECA also has a program which compensates individuals who developed cancer and lived downwind of the Nevada Test Site during its period of operation (Downwinder claims), and one which addresses individuals who were exposed to radiation due to presence at a nuclear weapons test (Onsite Participant claims).  If this applies to you, your parent, or your grandparent, you are eligible to apply for compensation.

We have obtained over $50 million establishing this connection for our clients. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.

How do I know if I’m eligible for RECA benefits?

For many, eligibility for RECA benefits means being employed in one of the agencies testing radioactive substances, or being one of the people who never worked for one of these companies but were downwinded from their testing facilities. We can help you determine whether you’re eligible.

I think I am eligible for compensation. What now?

We encourage potential claimants to allow us to file their claims. We send out an authorized representative form and an engagement letter. The authorized representative form allows us to represent your interests before the Department of Labor (DOL). They ultimately decide whether your claim will be approved or denied.

How do I file a RECA claim if I’ve been denied before? 

If you’ve been denied a claim, you may still have grounds to pursue compensation. You can take the official statement regarding your denial to a lawyer, who can help you resubmit your claim and seek the compensation you’re due.

What is the engagement letter?

This engagement letter lists our fees – which are limited by the RECA statutes themselves.

  • Fees are 2% for an initial claim, plus 10% if the claim is recommended for denial.
  • The fees will be the same whether you choose a reputable lawyer, professional advocate or other representative.
  • We do not receive compensation if your claim is not paid.
  • The compensation that is paid by the Department of Labor is wired directly into your account.
  • After you receive your compensation we send you an invoice for 2%, 10%, or 12% of the compensation based on (1) whether you were paid on the initial claim, (2) if we only handled the objection and/or hearing, or (3) if we handled both the initial claim and the objection and/or hearing.

What’s the difference between RECA and EEOICPA claims? 

One of the key differences between RECA and EEOICPA claims is that RECA doesn’t offer medical benefits. Your injuries instead are compensable by a one-time lump sum payment, which can be used for your medical bills.

But you may be eligible for both. Talk to your legal representative about your eligibility and what your claim may be worth.

How can a lawyer help me with a RECA claim? 

RECA claims are one of our most important practice areas, and we’re dedicated to providing the service you need to get your claim compensated. You may not have the resources you need for success, which is where we step in. If you don’t have representation for your claim, it can be difficult or even impossible to get fairly compensated.

I would like Stephens & Stephens to handle my RECA claim.

Please contact us by phone at 1-800-548-4494, email (hstephens@stephensstephens.com) or through the contact form here on our site. We will first seek to understand the nature of your claim. If you wish to proceed from there we will send you an authorization agreement that will allow us to represent you to the Department of Labor.

  • If you have already filed a claim with the Department of Labor and your claim has been denied, we may still be able to assist you. If this is the case we will request your entire case file from the Department of Labor and determine the best strategy to proceed with from our review of the case file.
  • If you have a never filed a claim before, we will file the initial paperwork and correspond with the Department of Labor on your behalf. We will need the necessary documentation to file your claim. This includes survivorship evidence (i.e birth certificates if you are the child of a deceased worker, marriage certificate if you are the spouse of a deceased worker) and medical evidence of your claims (medical records such as pathology reports, PFT results, biopsy results, medical narratives, etc).

I have already begun filing, what now?

Stephens & Stephens will obtain a copy of the DOL file and pick up where you left off. We will do our best to ensure that your hard work is brought to a final resolution. On denied EEOICPA claims we obtain a copy of the DOL file which includes all documentation related to your claim. We analyze the reason why your claim was denied in the first place and we urge the DOL or the DOJ to accept your claim.

We frequently work with experts including Occupational and Environmental Medicine Physicians and Health Physicists and occasionally Subject Matter Experts to present a professionally prepared analysis built on strong supporting evidence.

How long does the claims process take?

There are a number of factors that can affect the Department of Labor’s ability to verify you claim. While we are unable to guarantee our ability to secure a more expedient adjudication, our team is experienced at working with Department of Labor claims examiners to ensure that claims are processed in a timely manner.

  • Claims process generally takes around six months.
  • Dose reconstruction claims can take a year.
  • If a claimant is terminal the claim process can be expedited and lead to a payment within days instead of months.
  • If claims have been denied, there can be a considerable work period before re-presenting them to DOL, sometimes years.