Call Us Now: 716.208.3525

EEOICPA & RECA Attorneys

Stephens & Stephens has obtained over $60 million through the Radiation Exposure Compensation Act and the Energy Employees Occupation Illness Compensation Act for our clients

Gloria ReynoldsGloria Reynolds
04:16 30 Mar 24
Stephens & Stephens was very helpful in getting my claim processed and helping me in getting my settlement, staff was knowledgeable and professional and very kind if I call and needed to ask a question they would call me back within a timely manner. Thank you so much for your help .Continue to be blessed Gloria
Dee GodfreyDee Godfrey
18:49 12 Mar 24
I was astounded with the service I received from Mr. Hugh Stephens in regard to my husband's compensation claim. He was not only efficient, but also compassionate, and communicated clearly and frequently. Because of his outstanding efforts and expertise, I, who am now a grieving widow, am unexpectedly stabile and secure. I had little to do. He did all the heavy lifting. I'm so very grateful for his help. I'll always remember not only his professionalism, but also his kindness.
Audrey OgletreeAudrey Ogletree
22:19 09 Mar 24
From: Laurence OgletreeI received good assistance from Stephens & Stephens in submitting the recent claim for increased impairment benefits from the Energy Workers program.
Randy MooreRandy Moore
14:48 07 Mar 24
I was a machinist at Honeywell F.M.&T.and developed bilateral tinnitus and bilateral sensorineural hearing loss. They helped me file a claim with EEOICPA in 2017. Stephen’s & Stephen’s was very good to work with, they take care of all the paperwork and help with any paperwork I receive from the Department of Labor. They stay on top of things helping with scheduling impairment reviews etc.I feel that without their help this would have been a very overwhelming process.I plan on still using them if any other illnesses occur due to my employment with Honeywell.
Mike DauzatMike Dauzat
15:54 02 Mar 24
I highly recommend Stevens and Stevens. Hugh Stevens and his staff are very professional and very friendly. They're extremely good at making sure you get the full amount of money you deserve. If you need a DOL lawyer, I highly recommend this team. I can't be more happy that I picked Stevens and Stevens.
Mary YbarraMary Ybarra
01:33 27 Feb 24
Stephen’s and Stephen’s has kept fight for my dad. Now they are fight for my mom. They are on top of things and I would recommend them to anyone who needs help and guidance with the Uranium mines.
Dianne HarperDianne Harper
01:02 17 Feb 24
Robert and I are very pleased with Mr. Hugh Stephens and all that he has done for us. From the first moment we spoke, we sensed that though Mr. Stephens exhibits sharp business acumen, he cares deeply about his clients and he has a huge heart.
Diane pontonDiane ponton
17:38 07 Feb 24
I tried to get others to help me with this claim, and it wasn"t until I hired Mr. Stephens that things started happening. I would recommend any one to get in touch with him . I would go to him again, if i ever needed to.
Judy LeonardJudy Leonard
22:26 06 Feb 24
I very much appreciate the successful litigation concerning my husband's Hanford work related illness. Stephens & Stephens LLP were thorough, caring, considerate, and fair during this difficult time.
Kenneth GKenneth G
18:23 03 Feb 24
Mr. Stephens was able to simplify an otherwise complicated lengthy process (DEEOIC) to file an initial claim as well as a claim for impairment benefits.
18:08 03 Feb 24
Frankie KnucFrankie Knuc
19:24 08 Jan 24
I had other attorneys hired in Cortez, Colorado and Grand Jct., Colorado to assist me with receiving my uranium claim, but they were not successful. I was advised by an employee of CNS of Stephens & Stephens, LLP good work. I contacted them & they took my case It was settled very quickly. I have been very pleased with this group & would advise others of their prompt service. I would recommend them to others. Respectfully, Frankie Knuckles
Rebecca ConsolRebecca Consol
19:57 22 Dec 23
My family used Stephen’s and Stephen’s for a settlement case. We were extremely pleased with all they did. They were very professional, easy to get a hold of, and invaluable when it came to answering questions and handling complicated Department of Labor issues and forms. They also did everything in a very timely manner. I have already recommended them to other people.
Thomas CliffordThomas Clifford
15:29 21 Dec 23
I have been represented by Hugh Stevens for several years now, He and his staff has made everything so easy for me. I had lung cancer from working in the uranium processing industry, they have opened so many doors for me and made dealing with DOL so much easier. They always answer my questions in a very timely manner. I have referred several other people to him and he has been able to get them through this process also. There are benefits that I was not aware of that he has brought to my attention and been able to lead me through the process of obtaining them. I would most highly recommend him to lead anyone through this process.
Lonnie killingHawkLonnie killingHawk
02:35 14 Dec 23
When I first contacted Stephens & Stephens I was at the end of my rope with DOL. Hough and his staff got me on track and handled everything with DOL and just made this process so easy. Do not know where I'd be with out them. They are able to communicate at a layman's level and understand the client. Would strongly recommend this firm.
Ruthy LyonRuthy Lyon
21:00 28 Sep 23
Our initial conversation with Mr. Stephens was productive & reassuring. His previous experience with similar cases was obvious and very helpful, in both asking us specific questions for clarification & also addressing our own questions. Breanna is also a great asset to their team.
James O'DayJames O'Day
15:07 13 Sep 23
I have referred several friends to Hugh Stephens and they were more satisfied than they ever expected. I would refer him with confidence to anyone in need. I trust when he speaks for me, for example, in court. He is a good communicator and a deep thinker. He is well respected in his profession. He handles environmental law, injury law, and medical malpractice. He is tactful and direct and knows what he is doing. He knows the legal briar patches well.

Longshore and Harbor Workers Compensation Act (LHWCA)

What is the Longshore and Harbor Workers Compensation Act (LHWCA)?

The Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act (LHWCA) (33 U.S.C. §§ 901 – 950) was enacted for the purpose of providing federal workers’ compensation to maritime employees who are injured or contract an occupational illness while employed on or adjacent to the navigable waterways of the United States. In the event that the covered employee has died as a result of his or her injury or occupational illness, the LHWCA also provides survivor benefits to dependents.

The Division of Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation (DLHWC), within the Office of Workers’ Compensation Programs (OWCP), administers the LHWCA.

Who is Eligible Under the LHWCA?

Under § 902(3) of the LHWCA, employees who are eligible for compensation include:

  • Longshore workers;
  • Ship repairers;
  • Shipbuilders or shipbreakers;
  • Harbor construction workers; and
  • Non-maritime employees who perform their work on the navigable waters and an injury or occupational illness arises.

In addition, Congress extended the Act to include other types of employment, including:

  • Under the Defense Base Act, employees at overseas military bases of the United States and employees of United States government contractors working outside the United States in public work projects or in national defense and military operations;
  • Under the Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act, employees working on the Outer Continental Shelf of the United States in the exploration and development of natural resources (for example, off-shore oil drilling rigs); and
  • Under the Non-Appropriated Fund Instrumentalities Act, civilian employees of non-appropriated fund instrumentalities of the Armed Forces (for example, military base exchanges and morale, welfare, and recreational facilities).

What are the Compensation Benefits?

“Covered” employees are eligible to receive compensation benefits based on the employee’s Average Weekly Wage at the time he or she was injured, whether or not he or she is temporarily or permanently disabled, and whether that disability is partial or total. In addition, he or she may receive reasonable and necessary medical, surgical, and hospital treatment. In the event that the employee dies as a result of his or her injury or occupational illness, death benefits are available for the employee’s survivors up to an aggregate two-thirds (2/3) of the deceased employee’s Average Weekly Wage as well as funeral expenses.

LHWCA: Frequently Asked Questions

Who is NOT included under the Longshore and Harbor Workers Compensation Act?

The LHWCA specifically excludes the following individuals:

  • Seamen (masters or members of a crew of any vessel);
  • Employees of the United States government or of any state or foreign government;
  • Employees whose injuries were caused solely by their intoxication;
  • Employees whose injuries were due to their own willful intention to harm themselves or others.

The LHWCA also excludes the following individuals if they are covered by a state workers’ compensation law:

  • Individuals employed exclusively to perform office clerical, secretarial, security, or data processing work;
  • Individuals employed by a club, camp, recreational operation, restaurant, museum, or retail outlet;
  • Individuals employed by a marina and who are not engaged in construction, replacement, or expansion of such marina (except for routine maintenance);
  • Individuals who (A) are employed by suppliers, transporters, or vendors, (B) are temporarily doing business on the premises of a maritime employer, and (C) are not engaged in work normally performed by employees of that employer covered under the Act;
  • Aquaculture workers;
  • Individuals employed to build any recreational vessel under sixty-five feet in length, or to repair any recreational vessel, or to dismantle any part of a recreational vessel in connection with the repair of such vessel;
  • Small vessel workers if exempt by certification of the Secretary of Labor under certain conditions.

What is the Office of Workers’ Compensation Programs (“OWCP”)?

The Office of Workers’ Compensation Programs (“OWCP”) is charged with oversight of four federal workers’ compensation programs, including the LHWCA. Within the OWCP, the Division of Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation (“DLHWC”) administers the LHWCA.

What does the OWCP do for injured Longshore employees?

The OWCP maintains records of injuries and deaths reported under the LHWCA and its extensions. The OWCP reviews each claim to make sure appropriate benefits are paid promptly. The OWCP provides general information about compensation, medical benefits and vocational rehabilitation to employers, insurance carriers, and claimants, and helps injured employees to file claims.

Should claim disputes arise, the OWCP assists the parties to resolve the disputes by conducting informal conferences and making written recommendations on benefit entitlement. If the parties cannot resolve their differences and any party requests a formal hearing before the Office of Administrative Law Judges, the OWCP refers the case for a formal hearing.

The OWCP also provides vocational rehabilitation services to permanently disabled employees in appropriate cases.

The OWCP administers the “Special Fund” which pays disability compensation to injured LHWCA employees or their survivors in certain circumstances.

Where are the OWCP offices located?

OWCP Longshore district offices are located in Boston, New York, Baltimore, Norfolk, Jacksonville, New Orleans, Houston, San Francisco, Long Beach, Seattle and Honolulu.


What are the different types of disability benefits?

“Disability” means the inability to earn the same wages that the employee was receiving at the time of injury. The LHWCA provides for the payment of compensation for the following four types of disability: temporary partial, temporary total, permanent partial, and permanent total. Under the LHWCA, the type of disability depends on the answers to two main questions:

(1) is the disability temporary or permanent, and
(2) is the disability partial or total?

What is the difference between “temporary disability” and “permanent disability”?

  • A disability is “temporary” if the injured employee is unable to return to work for medical reasons and is still recuperating from the work injury. A medical doctor must certify that the employee is not able to work.
  • A disability is “permanent” if the injured employee’s medical condition has become stable and is not expected to improve. A stable condition is often described as having reached the point of “maximum medical improvement,” or “MMI.”

What is the difference between “total disability” and “partial disability”?

A disability is “total” when the injured employee cannot do any work due to the work-related injury.

A disability is “partial” if the injured employee cannot do the same job he or she was doing at the time of the injury but is able to work in a lighter or modified job, either with the same or with a different employer.

What is the “Average Weekly Wage”?

All compensation benefits are paid based on the employee’s Average Weekly Wage (“AWW”) at the time of injury. In general, the AWW is the average weekly wage that the employee was earning when injured. There are several methods to determine the AWW. Each method takes the employee’s average annual earnings and divides that figure by fifty-two (52) to obtain an Average Weekly Wage.

I think the insurance carrier is paying compensation benefits at a lower rate than I am entitled to. What can I do?

The law provides different methods for determining the AWW. If your wages in the 52 weeks prior to injury do not reflect your true earning capacity (for example, due to promotion, reduction in force (RIF), illness, or lack of work, or if the employment has not been permanent and continuous) there are other methods to calculate the AWW.

Longshore and Harbor workers Compensation Act Maximum Compensation Rates

Compensation payable under the Act is subject to the Maximum (“Max”) and Minimum (“Min”) rates. The Max and Min are determined each year on October 1 based on the National Average Weekly Wage (“NAWW”) determined by the DOL. The NAWW is calculated using national wage data published by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The Max equals 200% of the NAWW; the Min equals 50% of the NAWW. See the table below.

National Average Weekly Wages (NAWW), Minimum and Maximum
Compensation Rates, and Annual October Increases (Section 10(f))

10/01/2014 – 09/30/2015 $688.51 $1,377.02 $344.26 2.25%
10/01/2013 – 09/30/2014 $673.34 $1,346.68 $336.67 1.62%
10/01/2012 – 09/30/2013 $662.59 $1,325.18 $331.30 2.31%
10/01/2011 – 09/30/2012 $647.60 $1,295.20 $323.80 3.05%
10/01/2010 – 09/30/2011 $628.42 $1,256.84 $314.21 2.63%
10/01/2009 – 09/30/2010 $612.33 $1,224.66 $306.17 2.00%
10/01/2008 – 09/30/2009 $600.31 $1,200.62 $300.16 3.47%
10/01/2007 – 09/30/2008 $580.18 $1,160.36 $290.09 4.12%
10/01/2006 – 09/30/2007 $557.22 $1114.44 $278.61 3.80%
10/01/2005 – 09/30/2006 $536.82 $1073.64 $268.41 2.53%
10/01/2004 – 09/30/2005 $523.58 $1,047.16 $261.79 1.59%
10/01/2003 – 09/30/2004 $515.39 $1,030.78 $257.70 3.44%
10/01/2002 – 09/30/2003 $498.27 $996.54 $249.14 3.15%
10/01/2001 – 09/30/2002 $483.04 $966.08 $241.52 3.45%
10/01/2000 – 09/30/2001 $466.91 $933.82 $233.46 3.61%
10/01/1999 – 09/30/2000 $450.64 $901.28 $225.32 3.39%
10/01/1998 – 09/30/1999 $435.88 $871.76 $217.94 4.31%
10/01/1997 – 09/30/1998 $417.87 $835.74 $208.94 4.33%
10/01/1996 – 09/30/1997 $400.53 $801.06 $200.27 2.38%
10/01/1995 – 09/30/1996 $391.22 $782.44 $195.61 2.83%
10/01/1994 – 09/30/1995 $380.46 $760.92 $190.23 3.06%
10/01/1993 – 09/30/1994 $369.15 $738.30 $184.58 2.38%
10/01/1992 – 09/30/1993 $360.57 $721.14 $180.29 3.03%
10/01/1991 – 09/30/1992 $349.98 $699.96 $174.99 2.61%
10/01/1990 – 09/30/1991 $341.07 $682.14 $170.54 3.26%
10/01/1989 – 09/30/1990 $330.31 $660.62 $165.16 3.83%
10/01/1988 – 09/30/1989 $318.12 $636.24 $159.06 3.13%
10/01/1987 – 09/30/1988 $308.48 $616.96 $154.24 1.92%
10/01/1986 – 09/30/1987 $302.66 $605.32 $151.33 1.69%
10/01/1985 – 09/30/1986 $297.62 $595.24 $148.81 2.69%
10/01/1984 – 09/30/1985 $289.83 $579.66 $144.92 [5.71%]2
10/01/1983 – 09/30/1984 $274.17 $548.341 $137.09 4.51%
10/01/1982 – 09/30/1983 $262.35 $524.70 $131.18 5.64%
10/01/1981 – 09/30/1982 $248.35 $496.70 $124.18 8.87%
10/01/1980 – 09/30/1981 $228.12 $456.24 $114.06 7.03%
10/01/1979 – 09/30/1980 $213.13 $426.26 $106.57 7.43%
10/01/1978 – 09/30/1979 $198.39 $396.78 $ 99.20 8.05%
10/01/1977 – 09/30/1978 $183.61 $367.22 $ 91.81 7.21%
10/01/1976 – 09/30/1977 $171.27 $342.54 $ 85.64 7.59%
10/01/1975 – 09/30/1976 $159.19 $318.38 $ 79.60 6.74%
10/01/1974 – 09/30/1975 $149.14 $261.00 $ 74.57 6.26%
10/01/1973 – 09/30/1974 $140.36 $210.54 $ 70.18 6.49%
11/26/1972 – 09/30/1973 $131.80 $167.00 $ 65.90

1Maximum became applicable in death cases (for any death after September 28, 1984)
pursuant to LHWCA Amendments of 1984. Section 9(e)(1) provides that the total weekly death
benefits shall not exceed the lesser of the average weekly wages of the deceased or the
benefit which the deceased would have been eligible to receive under Section 6(b)(1).
The maximum death benefit provision took effect on the day after the 1984 amendments were
enacted. Therefore, for the two day period of September 29 and 30, 1984, the maximum rate
of $548.34 is applicable, provided it is less than the average weekly wage of the deceased.

2Limited to a maximum of 5 percent under the provisions of Section 10(f) as amended by
the LHWCA Amendments of 1984.

In general, the aggregate weekly compensation payable cannot be higher than the Max in effect at the time of injury. If two-thirds (2/3) of the AWW falls below the Min, compensation is paid at the Min. If the AWW is below the Min, compensation is paid at the AWW. The Min does not apply to compensation paid under the Defense Base Act.

How much compensation do I get when I am temporarily disabled?

Temporary Total Disability (“TTD”) is compensated at two-thirds (2/3) of the employee’s Average Weekly Wage (AWW), subject to certain minimum and maximum amounts set by the OWCP annually. For example: if the AWW is $600 per week, the TTD benefit rate is $400.00 per week ($600 x 2/3 = $400.00).

Temporary Partial Disability (“TPD”) is compensated at two-thirds (2/3) of the employee’s loss of earning capacity, calculated based on the difference between the AWW (what the employee earned at the time of injury) and what he/she is able to earn after the injury. For example: if the AWW is $600 per week, and now the employee can only earn $300 per week, the TPD benefit rate is $200.00 per week (($600 – $300) x 2/3 = $200.00).

How much compensation do I get when I am permanently disabled?

Permanent Total Disability (“PTD”) – Compensation is paid at two-thirds (2/3) of the AWW. For example: if the AWW is $600 per week, the PTD benefit rate is $400.00 per week ($600 x 2/3 = $400.00). PTD benefits are paid as long as the disability continues. Benefits may be adjusted annually based on increases in the National Average Weekly Wage.

Permanent Partial Disability (“Scheduled PPD”) – Compensation for permanent impairment or loss of use of the arm, hand, fingers, leg, foot, toes, ears (hearing) or eyes (vision) is paid for a specified number of weeks. This is commonly called “Scheduled PPD” and is payable even if the employee is able to return to work. The “Schedule” and the number of weeks of compensation payable for each body part may be found in Section 8(c) of the LHWCA at the following website: http://www.dol.gov/owcp/dlhwc/lhwca.htm#908.

Permanent Partial Disability (“Unscheduled PPD”) -Compensation for permanent loss of wage earning capacity is payable when the injury causes permanent impairment to other parts of the body not listed in the “Schedule” of § 8(c) of the LHWCA. The impairment must limit the employee’s ability to earn wages. Unscheduled PPD benefit is paid at two-thirds (2/3) of the employee’s loss of earning capacity, calculated based on the difference between the AWW (what the employee earned at the time of injury) and what he/she is able to earn after the injury. For example: if the AWW is $600 per week, and now the employee can only earn $300 per week, the PPD benefit rate is $200.00 per week (($600 – $300) x 2/3 = $200.00). Unscheduled PPD benefits are payable as long as the disability continues. These benefits are not adjusted to reflect increases in the NAWW.

Permanent Partial Disability for Retirees – In cases of permanent disability due to an occupational disease diagnosed after retirement (e.g. asbestosis), PPD benefits are payable based upon a percentage of impairment determined under the American Medical Association Guides to the Evaluation of Permanent Impairment (“AMA Guides”). Contact the local Longshore district office for more information.

Do I have to report earnings to the OWCP while I am receiving compensation benefits?

Your employer, insurance carrier, or the OWCP may require you to report any earnings you receive because your compensation benefits may be based upon your ability to earn. You should report any earnings from employment or self-employment in order to avoid overpayment of benefits. By law, your employer or insurance company can deduct any overpayment from future payments of compensation due.

Is there a limit on how long I can receive compensation for a work-related injury?

Generally, disability compensation is payable for as long as the disability continues. The two exceptions are temporary partial disability benefits, which cannot exceed 5 years, and the “Scheduled” permanent partial disability benefits, which are limited to a fixed number of weeks. The employer or insurance carrier may require medical documentation of your continuing disability. To ensure that you receive benefits without interruption, you should provide the documentation when requested.

What benefits are available for survivors under the Longshore and Harbor Workers Compensation Act?

If the work injury causes, contributes to, or hastens the employee’s death, death benefits are paid to certain specified survivors up to an aggregate of two-thirds (2/3) of the deceased employee’s Average Weekly Wage. Funeral expenses up to $3,000 are also payable.

A widow or widower receives one-half (1/2) of the decedent’s AWW for life or until remarriage. Additional compensation at one-sixth (1/6) of the AWW is payable for one or more children. If there is no widow or widower, 1/2 of the AWW is paid for one child, or two-thirds (2/3) of the AWW if there are two or more children. Benefit payments to children terminate when they reach age 18 but may be extended to age 23 if the beneficiary is a full-time student. Death benefits may be paid to an adult “child” who is totally disabled and incapable of self-support.

If there is no surviving spouse or child, death benefits may be payable to other dependents at various rates fixed by law. The death benefit is adjusted annually for cost-of-living as calculated by the DOL.

What is the Special Fund and why is it paying me instead of the insurance company?

The “Special Fund,” also known as the “Second Injury Fund”, pays certain types of claims and expenses authorized by the LHWCA. The OWCP’s Longshore National Office processes payments from the Special Fund, and the U.S. Treasury issues the compensation benefit checks. In certain circumstances, an employer or insurance company may be responsible to pay your compensation benefits for only the first 104 weeks of permanent disability. The Special Fund then pays disability compensation for the duration of your entitlement. However, the employer or insurance company remains liable for paying for your medical treatment related to your injury, and the employer retains the right to challenge the employee’s continuing disability even if the Special Fund is paying the claim.

What other types of payments are made by the Special Fund?

The Special Fund also may pay compensation and medical benefits when both the responsible employer and its insurance carrier are insolvent or are out of business. Additionally, the Special Fund pays the cost of vocational rehabilitation services authorized by the OWCP in appropriate cases.

Where do I file a change of address if I am paid by the Special Fund?

If you currently receive benefits from the Special Fund and need to report a change of address, you should you should submit a written request to the Department of Labor’s Central Mail Receipt site. When contacting the district office, you must supply your full name, address, your OWCP claim number or social security number (the deceased employee’s social security number if you are receiving death benefits), and a day-time telephone number.

Can I receive state workers’ compensation benefits and Longshore benefits at the same time?

The LHWCA allows you to receive compensation for the same injury under both a state workers’ compensation system and the LHWCA. However, any amounts you receive under the state system reduce what your employer must pay under the LHWCA. Furthermore, some states prohibit receiving compensation under the state workers’ compensation system if LHWCA benefits are payable. You cannot receive any more than the weekly compensation rate under whichever statute would pay you the larger weekly benefit.

Can I receive Social Security Administration (“SSA”) benefits and Longshore benefits at the same time?

The Longshore Act does not prohibit the receipt of both SSA and Longshore benefits. However, SSA may reduce the benefits it pays to you based on the amount of workers’ compensation payments you receive. You should notify SSA if you receive both SSA and Longshore benefits to ensure that you have not been overpaid.

Do I have to pay income tax on my compensation benefits?

A person who receives workers’ compensation benefits must declare the funds received as compensation for an occupational sickness or injury. The IRS exempts these payments from taxation if they are paid under a federal or state workers’ compensation law. The tax exemption also applies to survivors’ benefits.

Medical Benefits Available Under LHWCA

An injured employee is entitled to reasonable and necessary medical, surgical, and hospital treatment and other medical supplies and services required by the work-related injury or illness, such as prescription medications, diagnostic tests, physical therapy, prostheses, hearing aids, attendant care, and the cost of travel for such treatment. An injured employee is entitled to select a physician of his/her choice to provide medical treatment for the work injury.

Is there a time limit to claim medical benefits?

There is no time limit to request medical treatment for a work injury; however, you should request treatment as soon as it is necessary. Even if the employee does not file a claim for compensation within the time required by the LHWCA to receive compensation benefits, he/she still has the right to medical care related to the LHWCA injury.

Is there a time limit to how long medical benefits are paid?

There is no time limit for receiving medical treatment necessary for the work-related injury. The injured employee is entitled to medical care related to the injury for as long as the nature and extent of injury or the process of recovery may require. This includes conditions which may arise from the injury, or from treatment related to the injury, after the initial period of treatment.

How do I obtain medical treatment for my injury?

Before receiving medical treatment other than emergency treatment, you must request authorization from the employer or from the insurance claim adjuster. Once authorized by the employer or insurance company, your treating physician may refer you for diagnostic testing and non-surgical treatment as necessary.

Do I have to select a doctor from an approved list of medical providers?

There is no enrollment program or network of approved medical providers under the LHWCA.

What kinds of doctors are allowed to treat my injuries?

The LHWCA defines the term “physician” to include doctors of medicine (“M.D.s”), surgeons, podiatrists, dentists, clinical psychologists, optometrists, chiropractors, and osteopathic practitioners within the scope of their practice as defined by state law. It is important to select a physician whose specialty is appropriate to your injury.

Is there any type of doctor that is not authorized to be my treating physician?

Naturopaths, faith healers, and other health care providers not listed are not “physicians” defined under the Act, even if they are licensed under state law. They may provide treatment under a prescription from an authorized treating physician. Chiropractors may only provide treatment consisting of manual manipulation of the spine to correct subluxation shown by x-ray, but they may not provide treatment for any other body part except the spine. You may choose any physician you wish to treat you, but your employer or insurance company may not be responsible for the physician’s medical bills if you choose a physician who is currently debarred by the DOL.

Why can’t I have a chiropractor as my treating physician?

Chiropractors are recognized as physicians under the LHWCA only under limited circumstances. A chiropractor may be a treating physician only if the injury caused a spinal subluxation, verified by x-ray, which can be treated by manual manipulation of the spine. Thus, if the work injury is to other body parts besides the spine, a chiropractor may not be your treating physician.

How do I change doctors?

Once you have selected a treating physician for your injury, you may not change doctors without the permission of the employer or insurance company or the OWCP. In general, if specialty care is required for your injury, your treating physician will refer you to the appropriate specialist. If the employer or insurance company objects to the referral or to your request for a change of physician, the Longshore District Director may order a change of treating physician if good cause exists for the change. The employer or insurance company may also request that your treating physician be changed for good cause. Again, such change will be made by the District Director after considering the reasons from both sides.

Is there a limit on what my doctor may charge for medical treatment under the LHWCA?

Medical fees are paid at the customary rate for the area in which you live. If a dispute arises between the employer or insurance company and the medical provider over the rate charged for a medical service, the OWCP will use the State’s fee schedule or the OWCP Medical Fee Schedule as a guide to resolve the disputed fee. The OWCP Medical Fee Schedule may be found at: http://www.dol.gov/owcp/regs/feeschedule/fee.htm.

I want specialized medical care available only at a location hundreds of miles from my home, and the insurance carrier will not authorize my request. What can I do?

The employer and insurance carrier are required to provide reasonable and necessary medical treatment for the injury by a physician selected by you. Medical care must also be reasonable in terms of distance, so if the necessary care or treatment is available locally, the carrier may decline to pay for the treatment located outside your area.

What happens when there is a dispute about medical treatment?

If a dispute arises concerning the necessity of treatment, the frequency of treatment, the type of treatment provided, or the amount of fees billed, the OWCP District Director will attempt to resolve the dispute informally. If the parties cannot agree on an acceptable result, then, at the request of any party, the District Director will refer the dispute for a formal hearing by an Administrative Law Judge.

How do I get reimbursed for prescription medications that I paid for out of my pocket?

Normally, the insurance carrier prefers that the pharmacy bill them directly. However, if the treating physician or other authorized provider prescribed medication for your work injury and you paid for it yourself, you may submit the itemized receipts to the insurance carrier with a written request for reimbursement. Keep copies of such requests and copies of your itemized receipts for your records.

Can I get reimbursed for the cost of transportation to medical appointments and, if so, how much?

Reasonable transportation expenses necessary for treatment of the work injury, including mileage, parking, and toll, are reimbursed at cost. Mileage is reimbursed at the rate in effect at the time travel costs were incurred according to the mileage rates for privately owned vehicles set by the Federal General Services Administration (“GSA”). The past and current rates are listed on the GSA website at: GSA Mileage Reimbursement Rates.

What form do I use to request mileage reimbursement?

There is no special form required to request mileage reimbursement under the LHWCA. Some insurance companies have their own form which they may ask you to use. To claim mileage reimbursement, you must provide accurate documentation including the date of the travel, the destination (doctor’s office, physical therapy facility, pharmacy, etc.), and the mileage to and from that destination. While the LHWCA does not impose a time limit for filing mileage reimbursement requests, it is recommended that you submit your requests to the insurance carrier on a regular basis and keep copies for your records.

My employer’s insurance company has scheduled a medical appointment for me with a doctor I don’t know. Do I have to go?

The insurance carrier may schedule a medical evaluation with a doctor of its choice at a reasonable distance from your residence. If you refuse to attend a medical examination scheduled by your employer or its insurance carrier, your compensation may be suspended until the medical examination is completed. The OWCP also has the authority to schedule a medical examination, and the employee must attend or risk suspension of his/her compensation.


Vocational Rehabilitation

Vocational rehabilitation is the process that helps a permanently disabled employee to return to gainful employment as quickly as possible in a job with pay at or near the wages at the time of injury. Vocational services may include vocational assessment and skills testing, counseling, job development, modification of the previous job, limited training when required, and job placement assistance.

Who is eligible to receive vocational rehabilitation services?

If a work injury prevents an employee from returning to his/her pre-injury employment, he/she may be eligible for vocational rehabilitation services. The OWCP must determine whether the employee is permanently disabled and whether vocational rehabilitation is appropriate. The OWCP may begin considering whether vocational rehabilitation is appropriate when the medical record shows that the employee is likely to have some degree of permanent disability.

Who pays for vocational rehabilitation services?

Services are provided by the OWCP out of the Special Fund at no cost to employees. The employer or insurance carrier may also pay for vocational rehabilitation services in individual cases, although they are not required to do so under the law.

How do I obtain vocational rehabilitation services?

You, your attorney, the employer, or insurance company may request that the OWCP district office evaluate you for vocational rehabilitation services as soon as your doctor determines that you will be unable to return to your previous job and that you are medically able to participate in vocational rehabilitation activities.

Is vocational rehabilitation mandatory?

No, participation in vocational rehabilitation services is entirely voluntary. However, if you decide not to take advantage of these free services, the employer or insurance company may ask that you be evaluated by a vocational rehabilitation counselor to determine if there are jobs in the open labor market that you can perform. Your compensation may be reduced on the basis of this evaluation.

How do I support myself and my family if I pursue vocational rehabilitation?

If you are accepted into an OWCP-sponsored vocational rehabilitation program, you may be entitled to receive total disability compensation for the duration of the rehabilitation program if your full participation in the program prevents you from working full-time or part-time.

LHWCA Attorneys

Why can’t the OWCP staff give me legal advice about my claim?

The OWCP cannot provide legal assistance or advice to the public regarding individual claims. OWCP staff members are not attorneys and are not qualified to give legal advice or to answer questions which involve interpretation of the law or the regulations.

Who is responsible for my attorney’s fees?

If the employer or insurance company has denied any portion of your claim and you subsequently obtain greater benefits with the assistance of an attorney, the employer or insurance company may be responsible for paying your attorney’s fees and costs. In some circumstances, you may be responsible to pay the attorney fees and costs yourself. If the attorney is not successful in winning greater benefits, no fees or costs will be assessed against the employer or insurance company. An attorney may not collect a fee unless that fee is approved by the OWCP, the Office of Administrative Law Judges, or the courts. Under the LHWCA, an attorney may not collect a retainer fee or receive a contingent fee (a percentage of your award) for representing you in your claim. All requests for attorney fees must be submitted to the OWCP or to the courts for approval. Fees must be reasonable in relation to the prevailing rates in the attorney’s local area, the time spent on your case, the experience of the attorney, the quality and complexity of the work performed, and the amount of benefits awarded.


Does the Department of Labor regulate insurance premium rates?

The DOL has no authority to regulate insurance premium rates. All authorized carriers are regulated by the insurance commissioners in the states in which they operate.

How does my company become an authorized Longshore Insurance Carrier or Self-Insured Employer?

The OWCP is responsible for the authorization of insurance carriers and self-insured employers. Each employer or insurance carrier must be separately authorized for each Act administered by the DOL. The Code of Federal Regulations, Title 20, Part 703, contains detailed information on how to apply for authorization, and can be found at Title 20 Part 703.

What is an employer or insurance carrier required to do in order to remain authorized?

Authorized self-insured employers and insurance carriers are required to maintain security deposits and submit various financial reports as specified by the OWCP. The Code of Federal Regulations, Title 20, Part 703 contains detailed information on the requirements for continuing authorization and can be found at: Title 20 Part 703.

Occupational Diseases

An occupational disease is an illness or medical condition that develops as a result of exposure to harmful conditions or substances in the workplace. For example, hearing loss resulting from exposure to excessive noise is an occupational disease. Other occupational diseases may be caused by exposure to harmful substances. These include pulmonary diseases such as asbestosis and mesothelioma (which result from asbestos exposure), auto-immune diseases, skin diseases, or asthma (which may result from exposure to chemicals or other elements involved in industrial processes). Many occupational diseases and conditions have a long latency period and do not become apparent until considerable time elapses after the workplace exposure has occurred.

Am I entitled to benefits if I suffer from an occupational disease?

You may receive compensation and/or medical treatment benefits if your illness can be associated with on-the-job exposure to harmful conditions or substances. You might even be entitled to benefits for an occupational disease where your symptoms or disability do not occur until after you have retired.

What should I do if I think I have an occupational injury or illness?

First, you should notify your employer and the Longshore District Office that you have an occupational disease. If your employer does not begin paying compensation, then you should contact Stephens & Stephens, who will file a claim for benefits. You should also try to obtain a medical report describing your work history, medical history, diagnosis of your condition, and explanation of the relationship between your past employment and your current medical condition. A copy of this report should be filed with your local Longshore District Office. If you require medical treatment for your occupational illness or medical condition, you should obtain treatment as soon as possible. You are entitled to select a physician of your choice to treat the effects of your injury.

How much time do I have to file a claim for occupational injury or illness?

If you suspect you are disabled by an occupational disease, or if a doctor tells you that you need treatment for a medical condition which may have been caused by your employment, you have two years to file a claim. The two years begin to run from the date you first become aware of the relationship between the occupational disease, your disability, and your employment. You need not file a claim until you have a disability associated with your occupational disease, or if you are retired, until you have been found to have a ratable permanent impairment. No time limit applies to a claim for medical benefits.

Who is responsible for paying my benefits?

The employment where you were last exposed to injurious substances determines which employer is responsible for payments of compensation and medical benefits. If you cannot identify where your last harmful exposure took place, the Longshore District Office will investigate your claim and attempt to identify the potentially responsible employers and their insurance carriers.

How is my compensation amount determined?

Generally you are entitled to compensation only if your occupational illness results in a loss of wage-earning capacity (or you are the survivor of a worker whose death resulted from an occupational disease). However, you may also be entitled to compensation if you have a latent pulmonary disease that results in ratable permanent impairment. If you are still working, or if you retired within a year of your diagnosis with an occupational disease, your compensation will be based on your average weekly wage (AWW). In general, your AWW is the average weekly wages you were earning when injured. Your compensation rate is a percentage of your AWW depending on the extent of your loss of wage-earning capacity. . If your occupational disease is diagnosed more than one year after your voluntary retirement from the workforce, your compensation will be based upon the National Average Weekly Wage (NAWW) in effect at the time of diagnosis and the degree of ratable impairment assigned by your physician. Even if you are not entitled to compensation, you are entitled to medical treatment if your medical condition is related to your employment.