When you work with nuclear energy, there’s a chance that you may be exposed to dangerous levels of radiation. For many, that can lead to serious illnesses, including certain cancers. That may make work impossible, leaving you and your family in financial trouble. It can have deadly consequences over time, too, leaving your family to recover. 

Fortunately, the Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Act (EEOICPA) provides benefits to many suffering energy workers every year. The problem is, you may not have the tools you need to get the EEOICPA benefits you’re due. The EEOICPA lawyers at Stephens & Stephens are here to help you get the benefits you’re due when you’re hurt and suffering. 

Benefits Offered to Energy Workers 

As an energy worker, you may be due compensation under Part B of the EEOICPA, Part E, or both, in some cases. But how can you go about getting the maximum benefit due to you? Each section has its own eligibility requirements, and you may be unsure whether you’re eligible at all. 

Workers eligible under Part B may be due a $150,000 lump sum payment for their illnesses and the effects of the nuclear radiation they were exposed to. They may also receive coverage for their medical bills and other expenses related to their illness. 

Under Part E, which is only available for certain energy workers, you may also be due compensation for lost wages due to your illness. You may be eligible to receive up to $250,000 in compensation. 

Compensation may also be based on your impairment rating. For example, if you’re only able to do half the job you were before, you may receive a 50 percent impairment rating, which impacts your compensation. If you’re completely unable to work, you may receive the maximum payment possible. 

Benefits for Surviving Families 

But you may not have been the injured worker. You may instead be a grieving family member who just lost a loved one because of a radiation-related illness. What are your options? 

Fortunately, both parts of the EEOICPA offer benefits to the family members of deceased workers. If you’re the spouse, child, or parents of the deceased, you may have grounds to seek benefits through the EEOICPA. 

But that doesn’t mean you’ll automatically receive survivor benefits. The EEOICPA requires proof that the illness more likely than not was caused by their job. Because of this, you and your lawyer may need to seek evidence of the illness. Fortunately, your lawyer can help you get answers when your loved one dies because of these conditions. 

Get Answers from an EEOICPA Lawyer About Your Benefits 

If you’ve been exposed to nuclear radiation, you may have since suffered from serious illnesses and diseases because of your job. When this happens, you may be due EEOICPA benefits, but getting these benefits can be tough. 

The lawyers at Stephens & Stephens offer free consultations for those hurt and suffering because of energy work-related illnesses. If you’re seeking compensation and you need help getting results for your EEOICPA claim, reach out by calling 716-852-7590 or by filling out the online contact form below.